Tuesday, November 22, 2011

How much an hour do you need to make to live in Austin or Dallas?

I am about fed up with how expensive CA is and need to leave! Plus this state is broke! I have heard how affordable it is out it TX. How much would I need to make an hour to survive in TX? Particularly, in the Austin area or Dallas area. Would 10.25 be enough? Oh yeah, I am 24, single and no kids. Thanks!|||Texas is much more affordable than Florida and California. That does come at a price, it's pretty boring in TX. I'd say to survive an OK life maybe $12.50 or $13 in the city maybe a dollar cheaper in a suburb like Denton or Flower Mound. It's a pretty confusing question cause it depends on how you live. I think $10.25 would give you a small apartment in the city with a little spending- pretty hard. I'd say to live frugally $12.50 in the city. Suburb houses are cheap! You can get a great deal right now!To live comfortably, ideally you should make around $14.50 in the city, maybe $13.75 in the suburbs.


Good Luck|||To compare between two different places like CA vs somewhere in Texas, I would use PayScale.com's Cost of Living calculator:





http://www.payscale.com/cost-of-living-c鈥?/a>





I think it would also be best for you to live in DALLAS vs Austin -- Austin is generally a bit more expensive since it is so close to the capitol and generally a cleaner place. Dallas isn't horrible. I would say live in Irving, which is a great place, way safer than Dallas (1 murder, if that, a year in Irving, vs one every other day, and I'm not exaggerating), and close to everything! Hope that link helps.|||If you live frugally and work 40 hours a week, $10.25 should be enough. It depends on if you want to live with a roommate or alone. I have friends with 1 bedroom apartments for as little as $550 a month (keep in mind that this is in Dallas proper - the actual city part of the city - not Dallas county), and I have friends who pay a lot more. I live in a cute 1920's duplex in the historical district and my half of the rent is only $475 plus bills. I have one roommate.|||That's a hard question for someone to answer since we don't know what other bills you have. The links below are "Cost of Living Calculators" where you can enter your expenses in the calculator to see how much it would cost to live in any city or metropolitan area in the U.S.. They are very useful and fun tools.


http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savi鈥?/a>


http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwizard鈥?/a>|||Well at 24 in Dallas you should be looking at an annual salary and not an hourly wage. Minimum 24K or 2,000.00. a month before taxes.





Estimated median household income in 2007: $40,986





Estimated per capita income in 2007: $26,298





Median gross rent in 2007: $737.





A ton of other information at the link. Found this one looking for a farm.|||About 25% more than what you can get. You could do okay on 10.25 if you ride a bus to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment